10.02.2006

Heaven On Earth


My father was an executive chef. For those of you who don't know what that means, it means he was not only the head chef at the various restaurants where he was employed, but he also did all the ordering from the butchers, the fishmongers, the vegetable dealers, dairy farmers, and so forth. It means he wrote the menus and set the prices of each dish. And while my father was a brilliant chef who was very well-known, highly respected and much-loved, he was also an amazing artist, though not in any of the traditional mediums. He was an artist with food. His dishes were not only delicious, but beautiful to behold, a play of both texture and color. A balance of all that is perfect. And although his devoted clients didn't know this, to those in the industry he was also known for his beautiful ice sculptures, sculptures for which he won many awards. In my dreams I am the proprietor of a small tearoom where I serve little pastries, cakes and pies. I think it would be a wonderful way to honor my father who I miss very much and who I admired- and admire still- with all my heart and soul. I try to carry on the culinary traditions he set within our family, and as I nurture with food I feel him here with me still. I can think of nothing more fulfilling than a sumptuous meal shared with those I love. Even those who join me at table in spirit only, you will always have a place set for you.

No comments: