6.04.2009

Non-fiction Artist Biographies

Being the list-loving girl I am, I thought it might be interesting to compile a list of my favorite art books. And then I thought, even better still, I'd split it into two lists: one for non-fiction and one for fiction. It was harder than I thought to narrow both lists down to a manageable number of good books, so if I'm so inclined, the continuation of these book lists may appear at a future date. In fact, I could start a third list about what I consider to be the best technical books. Or even my favorite anthologies of artists' works. Maybe eventually I'll cover them all. After all, I could read nothing but art books of one genre or another every day for the rest of my life, so the lists could, in theory, go on forever and ever.

Here, in no particular order, is my winnowed down first list of some great non-fiction, biographical books on a wide range of artists. I highly recommend them all.

Jackson Pollock: An American Saga by Steven Naifeh and Gregory White Smith
Diane Arbus: A Biography by Patricia Bosworth
Leonardo: Discovering the Life of Leonardo da Vinci by Serge Bramly
Renoir, My Father by Jean Renoir
Edward Hopper: An Intimate Biography by Gail Levin
The Yellow House: Van Gogh, Gauguin and Nine Turbulent Weeks in Arles by Martin Gayford
Chagall: A Biography by Jackie Wullschlager
Off The Wall: A Portrait of Robert Rauschenberg by Calvin Tomkins
Strapless: John Singer Sargent and the Fall of Madame X by Deborah Davis
Impressionist Quartet: The Intimate Genius of Manet and Morisot, Degas and Cassatt by Jeffrey Meyers

No comments: