3.18.2010

Twenty Years Today

It was twenty years ago today that two men, dressed as Boston police officers, bound and gagged the two security guards at the Isabella Stewart Gardener Museum and 81 minutes later had made off with thirteen priceless works of art: two Rembrandt paintings, including his only seascape "The Storm on the Sea of Galilee," a Rembrandt self-portrait etching, a Manet, five drawings by Edgar Degas, a Flinck oil, an ancient Chinese Qu, the finial from atop a Napoleon battle flag, and most importantly, Vermeer's "The Concert" which is considered to be the most valuable piece of stolen art in the world with an estimated worth of a quarter of a billion dollars alone.

It's a funny thing when you grow accustomed to seeing particular works in museums and how easily you find yourself taking them for granted. After all, they'll always be there for your viewing pleasure, right? While not a regular visitor to the Gardner Museum, I have been there many, many times in my life. I had seen those works that have now been lost to the public for two decades and loved them as I love all art (for the most part), and I have also seen the empty frames still in their places waiting for the return of that art that once graced them so magnificently. I sorely regret not spending more time with them, especially that glorious Vermeer. After all, there are Rembrandts, Flincks, Manets and Degas in virtually every museum as these were fairly prolific artists. But the oh-so rare Vermeer? How could I know that one day it would be gone, possibly forever, and that I may now never be lucky enough to see another Vermeer again in my lifetime?

I sincerely hope that someone, somewhere who knows where these works are and takes the museum and the FBI up on their offer: a $5 million reward with almost certain immunity from prosecution and no questions asked. Like so many others, I want the work back for everyone to enjoy, all the works from all the various artists. But for myself, I desperately want to see that Vermeer again.

No comments: