5.10.2010

Two Paintings, One Theme


As you all know by now, I am rather obsessed with 19th century Impressionism as it was executed in France, though I'm not especially picky as to whether my artists were actually French, Dutch or American ex-pats living and working there. I do, however, tend to gravitate towards a certain look and feel to the canvases I love, as well as to a particular subject matter. I've been madly in love with these two works for a long, long time. I adore the gray green grass and darker sap green of the distant tree line, the tiny buildings and the riot of rich red poppies dotting both landscapes. As subtly beautiful as the overcast sky is in the Metcalf painting, the vibrant, vivid summer sky in the Monet is incredible and simply awe-inspiring. I've seen the Metcalf in person only once (it's in a private collection, the lucky dogs) but don't believe I've ever seen this particular Monet in the flesh. I'd kill to see them both side by side, to be able to make an in-person comparison of the two. And then I'd just have to grab one or both of them, and run like hell to freedom! Man, do I love these two paintings!

Willard L. Metcalf, Poppy Field (Landscape at Giverny), 1886
Claude Monet, Field of Poppies, 1886

No comments: