11.19.2010

Harold Reddicliffe



Last night David and I went to the opening of the Harold Reddicliffe retrospective at BU and as I always am when confronted with his work, I found myself once again mesmerized and speechless. I've always been in awe of hyper realists and wish I had the ability to paint in such detail, but alas, it simply is not something of which I'm capable. I'm not wild about cameras, movie projectors, microscopes and various other banal appliances on their own, but in these pieces, arranged so dramatically, lit so beautifully and executed to absolute perfection in vivid colors, I go ga-ga over every single canvas. Thirty years of extraordinarily intricate, intimate and at the same time, bold, works and all of them in one gallery. I defy anyone to not be blown away.

Projector and Light Stand, 2008
Scale, Coffee Pot and Light Stand, 2008
Two Slide Projectors, 2005

No comments: