9.26.2006

Butterflies are Free

I have been told many, many times that "arty people" are weird. While I'm not sure I would go so far as to say this is a hard and fast rule, I will go so far as to agree that most of the artistic people I know are rather liberal in a great many areas of their lives, code of dress being one of those areas. This is in actuality how I dressed a great deal of the time when I was young. Although the butterfly wings are a bit of creative license on my part, that is not to say that given the opportunity, I wouldn't go grocery shopping wearing a pair of them today. I would. This outfit consisted of a striped tee, the bottom half of a former Halloween costume (a full-length paisley skirt as this was after all 1971, sewn with hundreds of beads and sequins by my mother), and an antique hand-crocheted apron that belonged to god-only-knows-which ancient female relative of mine. And while it appears that I was playing dress-up in this get up, I wasn't. It was the outfit I had chosen to wear that day, one in a long line of original (some would say "bizarre") outfits that I put together on a whim when deciding what to wear that day. And still do now. Give me funky over couture any day!

2 comments:

Jessica said...

I used to dress rather extravagently myself...I wore a lot of prairie skirts and hats as a child. Then I wore dresses everyday and had a rather neo-fifties feel, as a teenager.

Sadly, I'm boring now...but I think wearing a Halloween costume as normal clothes is creative and cool and I would be far more worried if my kid was a big fan of Abercrombie.

Victoria said...

Aw, A&F isn't so bad (if you can get past the snotty surfer girls & boys and the screamingly loud techno music)!! I'm actually sitting here right now wearing an A&F skirt over A&F jeans with a vintage batman tee and a vintage scarf AND an eddie bauer soccer-mom sweater... picture THAT outfit, if you will!! lol

Very cute dog in your picture, by the way. I'm a big fan of little dogs...