11.02.2008

Head Study of Edison Jack

This is a study I did last night of my chihuahua's head. I was surprised how well he sat still and posed for the photo that I used to draw this from as he's usually on the move. The lighting was just awful, but as I actually got a relatively workable photo I won't complain too much. I'm not very happy with the way his muzzle came out, but I am pleased with his eyes. Catching the light in a subject's eyes, the essence of who they are, is the most important part of portraiture and I think I succeeded here. If you saw him in person you would agree. I do, however, see every little flaw, every little detail I could or should have changed or missed entirely, but that's okay. I seldom draw which is such a big no-no and I'm clearly rusty as hell. I should be drawing far more than I do, so this isn't bad given my lax attitude since it's been ages since I last picked up a pencil for anything more than a rough sketch that inevitably gets hidden under paint. I think it's been well over a year since I actually did a drawing that was meant to stay a finished drawing. I've been thinking how I could very easily knock off some sketches while sitting in front of the TV as I wind down late at night (if only to be able to squeeze drawing time in to my day) which would flex my tired drawing muscles and keep them in working order. If I actually manage to live up to this latest expectation, I'll post more of them here.

Head Study of Edison Jack, graphite on handmade paper, 2008

No comments: