2.02.2009

Anatomy of a Drawing: Final Photo

Okay, so I cheated a bit here. There is over five hours of work on this drawing since the last photo, which should really have been spread out over about three more photos and stages of work, but I started to draw last night and well, it was one of those nights and I just kept going until it was done. I really did intend to stop about an hour and a half or so into it, but then I thought, 'just a bit more will be okay' and that turned into a bit more and then I realized that I had been at it for almost five hours and the drawing was basically done. And then I put it down and took a shower and got ready for bed but kept flitting in and out of the room I had left it in, tweaking this detail and that until another half hour had gone by and I told myself that this was exactly what I had been trying to avoid in drawing slowly and consciously: stopping that part of me that keeps wanting to work just a bit more, to make the piece just a bit better, to not be able to stop once I start even when it's hours and hours and hours of working on something. I could keep drawing until my back is hunched and my fingers are cramped and gnarled. And sometimes I do.

There are still some things on this drawing that need to be reworked, but for all intents and purposes and for the sake of this thread, it's done. If I took a photo of every little change I'll make to it- until I'm mostly satisfied with it- that the average eye could never discern (but mine can see as glaringly obvious), there'd be no room for anything else on this blog. So consider it done. Time to move on to the next thing.

No comments: