2.21.2009

One Lucky Dog

I completed this drawing of Edison last month, but never got around to posting it as right afterwards I got caught up in that other drawing of him that I decided to work on in stages. It looks exactly like the photo of him I used for it, yet every time I look at it only one thing comes to mind: that picture of "Lucky," the drawing quiz dog in the ads for the Art Instruction School that advertises on matchbook covers, in TV Guide and other shitty publications. You know, draw him, or the parrot or the pirate and they'll tell you if you're qualified to study art with them through the mail? I know Edison doesn't really look like that stupid drawing test, but the tilt of his head in this piece is identical to that ad and to me screams nothing but "Lucky."

Head Drawing of Edison Jack, graphite on paper, 2009

No comments: